Easy to prepare, a one pot wash up and really delicious, this chicken and chorizo paella will be a favourite on your van travels. Tastes even better when re-heated for left-overs. The flavours have intensified.
- Olive Oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 chorizos
- 3 chicken thigh fillets
- 1 teas paprika
- 1 red capsicum
- 200g mushrooms
- 300g crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups arborio or short grained rice
- 1-2 cups frozen mixed vegetables – eg. peas, corn
- 1 cube of chicken stock
- 1 lemon
- 750ml boiling water
- Salt and Pepper
- Peel and slice garlic. Deseed and chop capsicum and mushrooms
- Peel and chop onion, carrot, chorizo and chicken thighs.
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep frying pan with lid on medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, carrot, chorizo, chicken and paprika and fry until the chicken is brown. Stirring regularly. Add capsicum and mushrooms and fry further 5 mins
- Stir through crushed tomatoes and crumbled stock cube.
- Add rice and stir for 2 mins to absorb all the flavours.
- Pour in boiling water and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Put the lid on and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 mins. (Whilst the dish is simmering you do not need to stir it constantly as traditionally you want a thin crust of crispy rice to form on the bottom of the pan)
- Stir in the frozen vegetable, replace the lid, cook further 5 mins
Sprinkle fresh parsley leaves over the Paella and serve with lemon wedges.